Monday, January 31, 2011

DARKNESS BECOMES HER by Kelly Keaton

Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.
Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.
She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.
Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.


Oh. My. Gosh! I was so completely wowed by Darkness Becomes Her. The concept is so completely original and unexpected, the novel is part Gothic romance, part dystopian, part fantasy, part paranormal, and part contemporary as well. Only twenty pages in and I was hooked. Staying up late and skipping homework were part of my routine as I poured through this book.
     Ari is such a cool, complicated character. She tries to be tough, and can certainly kick some major ass, but she's soft and as susceptible to good looks as any of us girls are. She has her weaknesses, but that just makes her that much more relatable.
     The paranormal aspects of this novel are completely different from anything I've ever read before. There are vampires, witches, shapeshifters, and cross-breeds all mixed up into one story in the most fascinating way possible. Twists and turns and unexpected plot changes were running rampant through Darkness Becomes Her. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I reached the last page; not to mention the fact that my jaw was hanging open. I did some digging and it turns out this is a series (called Gods & Monsters) and the next book is coming out next year. Thank God! I will be anxiously awaiting the sequel and I hope you'll give Darkness Becomes Her a try once it releases into stores next month. Any devoted fan of fantasy, paranormal, or romance is bound to love this book. Give it a go!

5/5 stars

Darkness Becomes Her releases on February 22, 2011.
**ARC received from publisher Simon Pulse, an imprint of Simon & Schuster.

No comments:

Post a Comment