Tuesday, August 9, 2011

ILLUSIONS by Aprilynne Pike

Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.

But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.


Every time I pick up this series I ask myself, "Why am I reading this?" But then I get about fifty pages in and I'm hooked. Illusions started out slow but it certainly picked up the pace as it continued. Aprilynne again did a great job of blending fantasy and normal teenage life into an engaging novel. I think this was probably my favorite book in the series, simply because I was not as confused while reading.  In both Wings and Spells it seemed like a lot of information was missing, stuff that had to be picked up as I went farther into the novel. Illusions was the opposite though; I felt as if I was present for all the action. 


The relationships Laurel has with David and Tamani are both complicated and simplistic. Mainly a game of I Love Him, I Love Him Not, as she's the only one confused about her feelings. Though at times annoying, the dynamics between the characters never detracted from the overall story, something greatly appreciated by yours truly. Don't ask me whether I'm Team David or Team Tamani; I'm Team Undecided. Both are very intriguing and interesting characters but they both annoy the hell out of me sometimes.


Klea and Yuki are brought to the forefront of the story in an interesting way. Though secondary characters, I enjoyed reading about the both of them. Klea was her usual mysterious self and Yuki's innocence and naivete were refreshing to read. Oddly enough, I found myself defending Yuki sometimes even though (SPOILER!!) it was obvious she would wind up being the villain

The ending, though not very surprising, provided more questions to (hopefully!) be answered in the conclusion of the series. I sped through Illusions and if you enjoy faerie stories, I'm sure you'll enjoy this one too.


4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment